This vineyard is named both for its street address and coincidentally for the year in which Agoston Haraszthy was appointed by California's governor to "promote the improvement and growth of the grapevine" in the state. The 1861 vineyard is planted on a plateau in the hills, a thousand feet above the Sonoma Plaza. Less than half an acre, the small site divides itself naturally into two blocks, one rockier than the other. The site is planted to the Pommard clone and on 101-14 rootstock with a narrow spacing of 4' x 5'. Marine influence from both the Pacific Ocean and San Pablo Bay, combined with frequently with foggy mornings, allow the delicate pinot noir grapes to thrive in this rugged hillside setting.